BOK wins lawsuit on face of Korea's 100 won coin
简介The face of Korea’s 100 won coin -- which shows a portrait of legendary Navy Adm. Yi Sun-sin (1545-1 ...
The face of Korea’s 100 won coin -- which shows a portrait of legendary Navy Adm. Yi Sun-sin (1545-1598) from the Joseon era -- will be maintained, after a court sided with the Bank of Korea in a copyright lawsuit.
The Seoul Central District Court confirmed a ruling Friday that the Bank of Korea has the right to use the portrait image of Yi, which was created by the late painter Jang Wu-seong, the BOK said.
Jang’s bereaved family filed a lawsuit on Oct. 9 against the Bank of Korea, requesting royalties from the central bank for imprinting Jang’s painting of Yi on the 100 won coin for the past 40 years, dating to the 1980s.
In 1975, the central bank paid Jang a sum of 1.5 million won -- roughly $3,100 at the time -- for the right to use his painting for the coin. The amount would be the equivalent of some 17 million won ($12,600) now.
Jang’s family, however, claimed the estate should receive further royalties from the central bank for use of the painting’s image on the 100 won coin.
The court took the BOK's side, seeing that it had secured the right to use the image by purchasing the copyright from Jang.
Jang’s painting of Yi was designated as an official portrait of the admiral by the government in 1973. The following year, the BOK requested Jang to create a new version of the portrait to use the image to issue currency. The official issuance of the 100 won with Yi’s painting on the front began in 1983.
German Ambassador to Korea Georg Schmidt called for enhanced security cooperation, highlighting the ...
Singer-songwriter Oohyo hopes to maintain a “safe distance” between music and her personal life to m ...
국민의힘 인요한 혁신위원장이 9일 여의도 당사에서 열린 제5차 전체회의에서 발언하고 있다. 연합뉴스인요한 국민의힘 혁신위원장은 ‘중진 불출마론’과 관련해 “말을 듣지 않으면 매도 ...
- Han Kang's novel shortlisted for 2 prestigious French awards
- Posco, HBIS Group complete steel sheet plant in China
- 野 "이태원 1주기 공동주최 빠지겠다"…尹대통령 참석 촉구
- Ruling party to appoint innovation committee members
- 여권 ‘TK 지지율’ 비상…오늘 서울 오는 박근혜에 주목
- Sumi Jo awarded Geumgwan Order, highest honor for artists
- Meta fails to provide communication channel in Korea: lawmaker
- Hyundai Motor’s yearly earnings hit record
- 北 "우간다 이어 홍콩 영사관 폐쇄"…재외공관 철수 행렬 왜
- 탄약 찾는 러…국방부 "北컨테이너 적재량, 포탄 수십만발 분량"
- Seoul shares close tad lower ahead of BOK's rate decision
- Labor unions slam government efforts to attract more foreign workers
- [Today’s K
- Violinist Yoo Da
- [Herald Review] ‘Single in Seoul’ a bland rom
- LS Materials to tap deeper into EV, green energy markets
- New NZ minister takes oath in English and Korean
- Hyundai’s ‘Uni Wheel’ system gives more room for different car designs
- "조선의 샛별 여장군, 세계가 우러러 볼것"…北, 김주애도 우상화
- Trilateral cooperation unaffected by US election outcomes: Goldberg
- Volvo EX30 debuts in Korea
- School violence drops, drugs among teens surge: police
- Samsung Biologics sees highest
- Court clears cabbie in death of passenger who jumped out of moving taxi
- Daily Sports Hankook hopes to help stengthen Korea
- [Herald Interview] 'Korea strives to set global standards for data protection in generative AI era'
- BOK likely to keep policy rate unchanged on slowdown, hope for Fed's rate freeze, easing inflation
- China’s AliExpress eyes expansion in Korea
- Yoon orders increased defense of public digital infrastructure
- Hanwha Ocean developing submarine stealth technology