S. Korean shares close higher ahead of US inflation data
简介South Korean stocks finished higher Tuesday on gains in technology and chemical shares, while invest ...
South Korean stocks finished higher Tuesday on gains in technology and chemical shares, while investors awaited the US inflation data slated to be announced this week. The local currency fell against the US dollar.
The benchmark Korea Composite Stock Price Index advanced 29.49 points, or 1.3 percent, to close at 2,433.25.
Trading volume was slim at 300 million shares worth 6.27 trillion won ($4.71 billion), with gainers outnumbering losers 709 to 108.
Foreigners offloaded a net 93.5 billion won worth of local shares, and individuals dumped a net 542.4 billion won. Institutions, on the other hand, bought a net 625.5 billion won.
Analysts said the trading volume was slim as investors sat on the sidelines ahead of the announcement of the US consumer price index this week, while closely monitoring the possibility that Washington may face a government shutdown should Congress fail to pass a spending plan by Friday.
"The market gain was limited despite the weak greenback and robust exports in November due to concerns over the US CPI amid the short-selling ban," said Han Ji-young, an analyst at Kiwoom Securities.
Tech shares closed higher, with top cap Samsung Electronics rising 0.57 percent to 70,800 won and leading battery maker LG Energy Solution climbing 5.17 percent to 437,000 won.
Top portal operator Naver added 3.12 percent to 198,600 won, and its smaller rival Kakao increased 3 percent to 46,350 won.
Chemical shares also closed higher, with LG Chem moving up 2.54 percent to 465,000 won and oil refiner SK Innovation gaining 2.52 percent to 134,300 won.
The local currency ended at 1,328.9 won against the greenback, down 3.8 won from the previous session's close.
Bond prices, which move inversely to yields, closed higher. The yield on three-year Treasurys fell 2 basis points to 3.857 percent, and the return on the benchmark five-year government bonds decreased 2.2 basis points to 3.905 percent. (Yonhap)
President Yoon Suk Yeol on Tuesday ordered the Cabinet to look into possibilities of a cyberattack o ...
Seoul shares opened higher Wednesday, tracking overnight gains on Wall Street, buoyed by dovish comm ...
K-pop girl group Viviz is returning with a new album next month, according to BPM Entertainment.The ...
- BTS gets 6th top honor at 2023 MAMA Awards
- S. Korea keeping close tabs on reported repatriation of N.K. defectors from China: minister
- [Korean History] In 2003's Daegu, disaster plays out underground
- [HIT Forum] More than 400 attendees explore space at HIT forum
- South Korea warns tit
- The ruling party vows extraordinary measures to win back people's trust after crushing by
- KIPO chief strengthens IP alliances with Middle Eastern counterparts
- 금태섭 “文 전 대통령, 조국 출마 적절한지 의견 분명히 해야”
- [Today’s K
- Trailblazer, Trax drive up GM Korea’s exports
- YG’s new girl group Babymonster debuts with single 'Batter Up'
- 尹, 과학기술자문회의와 오찬 “예타 간소화·예산집행 유연화 필요”
- TBS appeals to Seoul to hold off on slashing support
- N. Korea reinstates DMZ guard posts
- [Herald Review] Korean and Welsh dance companies share creativity in 'Wales Connection'
- Koreans will 'freeze to death' for iced Americanos even in winter
- [Herald Interview] ‘Another Body,’ a riveting documentary on devasting effects of deepfake porn
- KFCC promotes financial inclusion via branches in developing nations
- From traditional to trendy, three of Seoul's top yukhoe spots
- Ministry uncovers 1,802 Youth Protection Act violations
- PM arrives in China for Asian Games, meeting with Xi
- Opposition head pleads for support in ‘fight against Yoon dictatorship’
- Russian top diplomat to visit NK, accuses US of fueling tensions on Korean Peninsula
- Surveillance cameras to be a must in hospital operating rooms
- [Book Review] 'Lee Kun
- Xi says he will consider S. Korea visit
- Opposition party leader ends 24
- US finalizes national security 'guardrails' for CHIPS funding
- Outpaced by Coupang, Shinsegae carries out major leadership reshuffle
- BTS' Jungkook to drop new single '3D'
- Golden apples: Why fruit prices are national issue in early autumn
- Russian FM to visit Pyongyang next month as follow
- Apple to launch iPhone15 series in S. Korea on Oct. 13
- Yoon pushes for Xi’s visit to firm up ties with China
- [Test Drive] Toyota’s minivan Alphard boasts sedanlike drive
- [Korea Beyond Korea] Early Korean history remains virtually unknown abroad