Prosecutors seek 5
简介The prosecution on Friday demanded five years in prison for Samsung Electronics Chairman Lee Jae-yon ...
The prosecution on Friday demanded five years in prison for Samsung Electronics Chairman Lee Jae-yong on charges of stock price rigging and accounting fraud connected to the controversial 2015 merger of two Samsung affiliates.
Prosecutors also requested a fine of 500 million won ($387,000) for Lee during the final hearing at the Seoul Central District Court.
Lee is charged with stock price rigging, breach of duty and accounting fraud in the course of the controversial 2015 merger of two Samsung affiliates, Cheil Industries and Samsung C&T Corp. The trial began in September 2020.
For seeking the prison term, the prosecution cited how Lee denied all charges leveled against him when he was the chief decision-maker, and how benefited from the process.
The prosecution argues that Lee and company executives planned and executed a series of illegal steps in the process of merging the group's construction and fashion companies. The prosecutors allege the illegal processes allowed Lee to increase his control over the conglomerate.
Two senior Samsung executives, including Choi Gee-sung, a former head of Samsung's now-disbanded control tower Future Strategy Office, have also been charged. Prosecutors have asked them to be given prison sentences of 4 1/2 years and a 500 million won fine for related charges.
A ruling is expected in early 2024 at the earliest.
South Korean stocks opened a tad lower Wednesday ahead of the central bank's rate-setting meeti ...
Leading South Korean conglomerates with affiliates in Israel, including Samsung Electronics, are kee ...
K-pop girl group Le Sserafim has been named the house ambassador to the luxury brand Louis Vuitton.T ...
- Music industry seeks solution to ticket scalping through public discussion
- Korean economy expected to grow by 2.1% in 2024: Hana Institute
- NMK to extend support for Korean galleries at six museums abroad
- Seoul shares dip 1 pct on Fed rate hike woes, won sharply slides
- 정부, GP 복원 계획…김태효 "北 무장에 가만히 있으면 안된다"
- Le Sserafim becomes house ambassadors for Louis Vuitton
YouTuber suspected of livestreaming after taking drugs
[Herald Interview] Samuel Youn celebrates career in ‘From Darkness to Light’
尹지지율 긍정 33%·부정 58%…"명절 기간 물가 등 경제난 체감"
Political parties call for revision of military exemptions for athletes
School violence drops, drugs among teens surge: police
NMK to extend support for Korean galleries at six museums abroad
- Surf's up: Enhypen enjoys the ride with 'Orange Blood'
- Samsung family pays tribute to late founder
- Suneung difficulty rekindles 'killer question' controversy
- ‘Concrete Utopia,’ ‘Moving’ sweep 59th Daejong Film Awards
- Global Kimchi Day declared
- PM envisions Busan World Expo's role in sharing 'rise from ashes' experience
- Resale tickets for League of Legends World Championship go up to 3 million won
- 전문가 “북 중거리미사일 고체연료엔진, 러시아 기술 가능성”
- Seoul shares end nearly flat amid signs of cooling US inflation
- Team carries out Korea's first successful uterus transplant
- [New on the Scene] Joo Jong
- Park Bom to return with new single ‘I’
- [Herald Review] 'Different, but in harmony'
- Berliner Philharmoniker visits Seoul for first time in 6 years, joined by Cho Seong
- Jungkook's 'Golden' hits No. 2 on Billboard 200 with biggest
- Hanwha Ocean to raise capital for wind power business
- [Herald Interview] Kiss of Life continues to describe different aspects of freedom through music
- ‘험지 출마’ 압박받는 장제원, 4200명 운집 산악회로 세 과시
- Han Kang wins prestigious French award for foreign literature
- 인요한 "변하든지 죽든지…말 듣지 않으면 매도 들 수 있다"
- Kakao CEO apologizes for SM stock manipulation allegations
- Jungkook adopts guerilla tactics for 'Golden' promotion
- 윤 대통령, 오스틴 美국방과 만찬 “北, 하마스식 도발땐 단호히 응징”
- 신당 추진 이준석 ‘천아용인’과 회동…김용태 “작전 이해 간다”
- 송영길 "어린 건방진 놈" 한동훈 "운동권 했다고 우월한 척"
- STX to supply lithium with South American partners
- [Today’s K
- ‘Feminist’ and ‘mama’s boy’ make the least desirable dates in Korea, survey finds
- NewJeans to be first K