Seoul shares down amid possible US government shutdown woes
简介South Korean stocks finished lower Monday amid concerns of a potential US government shutdown follow ...
South Korean stocks finished lower Monday amid concerns of a potential US government shutdown following a cut in Moody's rating outlook for the United States. The local currency fell against the US dollar.
After choppy trading, the benchmark Korea Composite Stock Price Index slipped 5.90 points, or 0.24 percent, to close at 2,403.76.
Trading volume was slim at 299.3 million shares worth 5.8 trillion won ($4.37 billion). Losers outnumbered gainers 592 to 283. Institutions net purchased 35.5 billion won, while foreigners and individual investors net sold 31.3 billion won and 21.7 billion won, respectively.
The Kospi opened higher after the country's exports rose 3.2 percent on-year to some $182 billion in the first 10 days of the month, led by a 1.3 percent increase in outbound shipments of semiconductors, raising hopes that the prolonged downturn in the industry may finally be coming to an end.
Investors remained cautious after Moody's cut its rating outlook for the US to "negative" from "stable," citing a political deadlock in Congress over spending as a potential risk to the nation's fiscal health.
The report came amid fears that the US may face a government shutdown should Congress fail to pass a spending plan by Friday.
"The Kospi is showing shaky movements, unlike the US stock market, which is showing a rebound toward the year's end," DS Investment & Securities analyst Yang Hye-jeong said.
"The semiconductor sector is one that is continuing a positive trend despite increased volatility. The recent improvements in the Nasdaq may also be a positive signal for South Korea's semiconductor industry," she added.
In Seoul, large caps closed mixed.
Market bellwether Samsung Electronics edged down 0.14 percent to 70,400 won, while leading mobile carrier SK Telecom gained 0.6 percent to 50,200 won.
Top automaker Hyundai Motor slipped 0.23 percent to 173,300 won, with its smaller affiliate Kia staying flat at 77,000 won.
Leading battery maker LG Energy Solution advanced 1.09 percent to 415,500 won, while its smaller rival Samsung SDI lost 0.71 percent to 417,700 won.
The local currency ended at 1,325.10 won against the greenback, down 8.30 won from the previous session's close. (Yonhap)
The vote for the host city of the 2030 World Expo is set to take place in Paris on Tuesday, with Sou ...
9월 셋째 주 주요뉴스 키워드는 #통계조작 #조국 #최강인 의원직상실 #정유정 계획범죄 인정 #세수 펑크 #이재명 체포동의안 가결 #미국ㆍ이란 수김자 맞교환 #윤 대통령 UN총회 ...
제1 야당 대표 체포동의안 표결은 팽팽한 긴장감 속에서 진행됐다. 21일 오후 국회 본회의장에 들어선 더불어민주당 의원들은 서로의 마음을 확인하려는 듯 삼삼오오 모여 이야기를 나눴 ...
- Disability rights group lodges complaint with rights watchdog over leader's arrest
- [이번 주 리뷰]美 Fed 기준금리 동결…이재명 체포동의안 가결(18~23일)
- FSS issues advisories to fisheries cooperatives federation for W50b investment loss
- 합의문도 없는 희한한 북·러 정상회담…결국 비즈니스 관계였나
- Labor unions slam government efforts to attract more foreign workers
- 야당 29명 반란, 이재명 방탄 뚫렸다
- 19 S. Koreans held captive in Myanmar freed: ministry
- Seoul shares down amid possible US government shutdown woes
- Weak won pushes import prices up in October
- 46 countries, including S. Korea, US, join declaration on 'responsible' AI use
- Red Velvet returns with conceptual, dramatized studio album
- S. Korean literary giant Hwang Sok
- Business groups condemn labor union immunity bill
- S. Korea, US defense chiefs discuss 'tailored deterrence strategy' on N. Korea
- Korea, Japan airport operators hold first post
- 文정부는 꺼려한 유엔사…참모부 '주도적 역할' 참여 추진
- ‘It’s OK to put fried chicken, ramen on jesa table’
- SPO and Lim Yun
- Xi says 'willing to make bigger contributions' in letter to NK leader
- S. Korean military detects signs of NK supplying ballistic missiles to Russia
- [Herald Interview] Merck seeks growth with Korean chipmakers
- KITA chief touts Ireland’s business
- 35 foreign individuals to be awarded for promoting Korean culture
- Jungkook welcomes 'golden moment' of his life with 1st solo album
- English chatbot services to be available for public bike users
- JCS says N. Korea might have provided Russia with short
- Viviz goes all out for 4th EP ‘Versus’
- Seoul shares open higher on Fed's rate freeze
- Suspension of ex
- Seoul shares shoot up nearly 2% on Fed's back
- 北고려항공, 베이징으로 주 3회 비행…정기 운항 복귀 한 듯
- Israeli military jets strike Gaza, says Hamas commander killed
- Indonesia’s upcycling startup wins Korea
- Seoul shares open higher on US advance
- Supreme Court acquits ex
- [Today’s K